Friday 3 June 2016

a mini felt tea cup tutorial

My daughter has started serving me tea in little tea cups. Since she doesn't have any real cups she uses duplo blocks. Yesterday I had my box of felt out and decided it was time for some "real" tea cups. 

a mini tutorial on how to sew a felt tea cup

Here is a mini tutorial of how I made them.

learn how to sew a tiny felt tea cup

Step 1: Draw a tea cup shape, cut it out and use it as a template to cut out four felt tea cups, two in white and two in the colour you want for the outside of the cup.

Step 2: Decide on how you want to decorate the tea cup, cut out felt embellishments and choose embroidery floss colours.

Step 3: Embroider a design on one of the outside tea cups. I had an idea in mind but find it easier to decide on the design as I embroider, adding leaves and beads as I go, and little embellishments until if feels balanced.

Step 4: Using blanket stitch, first stitch the tops of the tea cups together, so that you have two pieces with white on the inside and green on the outside, then continue blanket stitching around the rest of the tea cup, this time stitching all four layers together. This will give you a tea cup that is open at the top. 

I wanted my tea cup to be able to lie flat, but if you want it to stand up, try adding an oval at the base.


Make a few and have a tea party!

ps. do you like this tutorial? See more of my tutorials here

No comments: